Coconut Chicken Soup
serves 4, adapted from Real Simple Magazine
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger root, grated
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and chopped
- 6 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 -14oz can reduced fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (or 1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat shredded)
- 1 medium head bok choy, chopped
- cilantro, crushed red pepper flakes, and lime wedges for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger, chili, other seasonings, and a couple shakes of kosher salt Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the broth and chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and bok choy to the pot and simmer until tender, about 2 to 4 minutes
- Serve the soup with crushed red pepper to taste, cilantro, and lime wedges.
Try adding al dente noodles of choice to each bowl for a homemade chicken noodle soup!